Highlights of Council Decisions
Regular Meeting Held on Juin 19, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Requests to Federal and Provincial Governments
The MRC Pontiac Regional Council request the Federal and Provincial governments to conduct:
- A truly independent technical review of the existing dam and reservoir infrastructure in the Ottawa River watershed;
- A truly independent review of the Ottawa River Regulation Planning Board mandate, governance model, operating procedures and policies;
- A truly independent study into the feasibility of adding reservoir capacity in the Ottawa River watershed
Support for all Taxpayers Affected by the Floods
The Regional Council request that the government of Québec, through its programs for flood victims, consider providing assistance and compensation to all taxpayers affected by the flooding.
It is equally requested to change the eligibility requirements for financial assistance under the “Disaster Relief Program” to include both seasonal (cottages) and principal residences, for both Quebec residents and non-Quebec residents, and, to replace the existing relocation allowances from current “caps” to market value.
Considering the recent meeting held by the PPJ Committee and its study of the issue of a PPJ multi-use trail, it is proposed and resolved to obtain the following information before making a decision on the future of the PPJ trail:
- A legal opinion on the rights and risks related to a potential conversion of a portion of the PPJ trail into a multi-use trail and/or a trail exclusively for ATVs;
- Answers on insurance issues and liability, as well as how the MRC’s insurance coverage will be affected;
- Answers on the potential impact of a partial conversion of the PPJ into a multi-use or ATV-only trail on the designation of the trail as part of the Route verte and consequently on the annual grant received by the MRC;
- All necessary documentation concerning financial implications; and
- Any other relevant documentation.
Donations and Sponsorships
- $500 is granted to the Municipality of Campbell’s Bay for their summer festival in support of their downtown revitalization plan.
- A sponsorship of $250 is granted to Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society – Ottawa Valley Chapter to support the delivery of the third annual Dumoine River artists retreat.
- A sponsorship of $100 is granted to Pompiers Volontaires de Mansfield for the Annual Golf Tournament which contributes to the financing of Volunteer Firefighters.