Anyone wishing to install camping equipment on the territory of application must first obtain a camping permit from the MRC and pay the camping fees.
The period during which camping is authorised shall run from May 1st to October 31st each year and shall not exceed 180 days. Notwithstanding the above, camping in a short-stay tent (30-days or less) is also permitted from November 1st to 30th of April each year.
Required information and documents
- The completed application form;
- The location of the site, meaning the geographical coordinates;
- Recent photos of the camping equipment to be used, one of which must show the licence plate affixed, if applicable;
- Length of stay;
- Camping equipment registration certificate (valid), if applicable;
- Any other relevant information.
Conditions for the issuance of the camping permit
The application for a camping permit is approved and issued only if;
- The application complies with the provisions of the Regulation and any other applicable regulation;
- The application shall be accompanied by all the information and documents required;
- The fees and charges for camping have been paid.
The practice of camping is subject to the following fees and according to the length of stay;
- 0-30 days: 50$ plus GST et QST
- 31-89 days: 150$ plus GST et QST
- 90-180 days:300$ plus GST et QST
In the event that the length of stay is extended, the MRC must be advised and the fees need to be paid.
The practice of recreational camping is prohibited;
- Within 60 metres of the natural high-water mark of a permanent water body or watercourse or within 15 metres of intermittent watercourses at the following wildlife sites of interest; Dumont Lake, Duval Lake, Bruce Lake and Galarneau Lake.
- On all islands, unless you use a tent and for a period of less then 30 days;
- Within 100.0 meters of any water body with a cyanobacteria problem;
- Less than 25.0 meters from the natural high-water mark of lakes and rivers;
- Within 100.0 meters of a public access to a lake or watercourse;
- Less than 500.0 meters from any camp or cottage lease;
- Less than 30.0 meters from any class I or class II multi-use logging road.
Conditions relating to the practice of camping and the campsite
The holder of a residence permit must comply with the following conditions of practice;
- Dispose of its wastewater in accordance with the Regulation respecting wastewater disposal and treatment for isolated dwellings
(c. Q-2, R.22);
- It is forbidden to set up a dry pit toilet (outhouse) by one’s own means;
- No Clearing, landscaping, excavation or backfilling can be done;
- Camping equipment must never be installed in the right-of-way of a multi-use forest road, trail or any landing area or have the effect of restricting the movement of other forest users;
- The MRC camping permit must be posted and visible on the premises.
Authorized accessory equipment
On a camping site, only the following accessory equipment is allowed;
- A mobile deck not exceeding 3 square meters;
- Sanitary equipment adapted to rustic camping and have the systems drained in the appropriate places for this purpose.
Vacating the site
When the stay is completed according to the chosen duration, the camper must vacate the recreational campsite of any occupation including accessory equipment. The camper must notify the MRC of his or her departure and send the permit issued and a photo of the vacated site. It is forbidden to maintain any camping equipment on crown lands during the winter period, from November 1st to April 30th of the following year. Notwithstanding the above, camping in a short-stay tent (30 days month) is authorized from November 1st to April 30th of each year.
Sanitation and waste
Campers must use septic systems that are appropriate for their RVs and take responsibility for having their systems drained in an appropriate manner. The camper must keep the recreational campsite clean and free of garbage and refuse at all times. At the end of the camping trip, the camper must clean and return the recreational campsite and its surroundings to their original state. Garbage must be picked up and disposed of at the appropriate locations, such as a garbage reception site or door-to-door collection organized by a municipality.
Offence punishable by a fine
Anyone who contravenes any of the provisions of this by-lay commits an offence and is liable to a fine and may have his or her camping permit revoked following a notice.
For a first offense:
- A minimum fine of 300$ if the offender is an individual and 500$ if the offender is a corporation;
- The maximum fine that can be impose dis $1.000 if the offender is a physical person and $2.000 if the offender is a corporation.
For a repeat offense:
- A minimum fin of 500$ if the offender is a physical person and $2.000 if the offender is a corporation;
- The maximum fine for a repeat offence is $2.000 if the offender is a physical person and $4.000 if the offender is a corporation. In all cases, the costs of the lawsuit are in addition.
The time limit for the payment of fines and cost imposed under this article, and the consequences of failure to pay said fines and costs within the prescribed time limits, are established in accordance with the Code of Penal Procedure of Québec (R.S.Q., c. C-25.1).
If an offense lasts more than one day, the offense committed on each day constitutes a separate offense and the penalties imposed for each offense may be imposed for each day that the offense lasts, in accordance with this article.
If you witness illegal camping or even campers committing an infraction, we ask you to report it to us by contacting us at 819-648-5689 extension 233.
- Information Document for Camping on Crown Land (MRC Pontiac)
- Application for Recreational Camping Permit on Crown Land of the MRC Pontiac
- Upon your return – Recreational Camping on Crown Land of the MRC Pontiac
To fill out an application, please print this document, scan it and email to email@example.com. Or complete the online application below.
Don’t forget to fill out the form sections before and after your camping trip.
Upon your return:
Please print and sign the following document to upload it in the section below.