PROVINCE OF QUEBEC
BY-LAW NUMBER 257-2019
Relating to the remuneration of the Warden elected by universal suffrage and the members of Council for the year 2020.
PUBLIC NOTICE is hereby given by the undersigned Director General and Secretary-Treasurer of the Regional County Municipality of Pontiac:
THAT at the regular meeting held on October 16, 2019, a notice of motion was given to adopt, at a later meeting, By-law Number 257-2019.
THAT on November 27, 2019, was presented draft By-law number 257-2019 entitled “Draft By-law relating to the remuneration of the Warden elected by universal suffrage and the members of the Pontiac MRC Council for the year 2020”:
- Section 2 provides that the basic remuneration of the members of the Council of Mayors, excluding the Warden, is $4083.33 for the year 2020 ($4,003.33 for 2019) and that the basic remuneration of the Warden elected by universal suffrage is $38,885.46 for the year 2020 ($38,414 for 2018 and 2019). Section 3 provides that in addition to basic remuneration, members of Council receive an expense allowance equal to one-half of basic remuneration, subject to the maximum expense allowance provided for in section 19 of the Act respecting the remuneration of Elected Municipal officers and the sharing of expense allowances provided for in section 19.1 of that Act.
- Section 2.3 also provides that the pro-mayor who replaces the regional councillor at a meeting of the Council of Mayors shall receive a remuneration for his or her attendance at the meeting.
- Section 4 stipulates that in the event of the absence or inability to act of the Warden in title extending beyond 30 days, the MRC shall pay the pro-warden an additional remuneration such that the latter shall receive, from that moment and until the replacement ceases, an amount equal to the warden’s remuneration during that period, in accordance with section 6 of the Act.
- Section 5 of the By-law provides that members of Council are entitled to reimbursement of mileage expenses incurred to attend meetings of the Council of Mayors at the rate established under By-law No. 180-2011 providing for the travel expenses of Council members and employees of the Regional County Municipality of Pontiac, as amended, or under any other by-law to the same effect.
- Section 6 provides that the By-Law shall be retroactive to January 1, 2020.
- Section 7 stipulates that this by-law repeals by-law 247-2018 and all previous by-laws providing for the remuneration of Council members as well as by-law 239-2017 regarding the remuneration of the Warden elected by universal suffrage.
THAT the adoption of this by-law is scheduled for the regular meeting to be held on January 15, 2020, at 6:30 p.m., in the Elsie Gibbons room, at the MRC Pontiac located at 602, Route 301 Nord in Campbell’s Bay.
THAT the draft by-law may be consulted at the office of the County Clerk of the MRC Pontiac at the address indicated above and during office hours, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
GIVEN IN LITCHFIELD, this December 4th, 2019
Director General and Secretary-Treasurer